Saturday 4 May 2013

blog everyday in May - words to live by

Life can be a little confusing sometimes and there is often a huge amount of pressure for you to figure out what it is you want to do. At the age of 25, I freely admit that I still don't know what it is I want to do. But more importantly, I know the sort of person I am and want to be in the future. 


From a young age I had an interest in creative stuff; art, photography, graphics, fashion etc. My love for writing came a little later when I realised that I was actually ok with putting words on paper. 

I studied fashion writing at university which seemed like the perfect combination of my passions and somewhat channeled my brothers fashion design talents and my fathers love for books and writing. 

But upon graduating, I found myself a little lost in London and without any real sense of direction. I think sometimes it is inevitable; you go through specific stages of education and suddenly you come out of the other side and there is nothing except the big wide world and a whole pile of decisions to make, that will shape your future. So I did what any unsure 22 year old would do and I left. Packed my bags and headed to the sunnier side of Europe with my boyfriend. 

Living in Cyprus has opened my eyes; it made me realise that I didnt hold such a strong connection to London that I had to be there, nor did I have such a passion for fashion writing as I thought. Writing jobs in Cyprus, for an English native are pretty sparse. As such the job I now do couldnt be further from what I studied. I work for a financial services company doing sales and marketing, which it turned out, allowed me to write a lot and draw upon my creativity more than I ever imagined possible, when I started back in 2011. 

2 years later, I am no closer to know what I want to do in my career. I do know however that I am not the sort of person to worry about. I have a more matter of fact approach to life and a sensible character that means I will do whatever job I can to ensure that the bills can be paid and there is food on the table. 

I am the sort of personality that will adapt to a situation and go with it. I think that many of the events that shaped my younger years taught me that there is more to life and in recent years I decided that this means, a career in the traditional sense might not always be the best thing for you. 

First and foremost I want to be a good person, I want to be happy and healthy and with the people that I love. I want to make the most of each day and enjoy the life that I have been given and if that means sacrificing a career in whatever field I would have ended up in then so be it. 

And since I am only 25 I figure I still have many years ahead to find out what it is I actually want to do in life. Although I am beginning to think food writer would be a good one! 

2 comments:

  1. Love that quote. Very fitting. I think you have plenty of time to figure things out and food writer would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally love it. and I love that it came from DVF! fitting for someone who likes fashion. i think combining two passions, writing and eating would be a great job!

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!