Tuesday 7 May 2013

blog everyday in May - the thing your most afraid of.

Hands down the thing I am most afraid of is being alone. Particularly when I get old.

I know I have so many years ahead of me considering I am only 25, but there is a real thought in my brain that makes me wonder if I could handle being on my own later in life.

It's sort of ironic coming from a girl who is happy to spend time on her, pottering around and doing the things that makes her happy. But after more than a couple of days on my own, I get this sort of nervous feeling in my stomach that makes me feel uneasy and a little insecure.

I know it probably sounds a little crazy. I promise you I am not crazy.

The boyfriend moved off to Germany nearly 2 weeks ago, so we are in the first stages of a long distance relationship. We have done said distance before and I coped perfectly fine (after the initial emotional distress passed) but that was when I was living in London, a city I knew well my whole life.

Now I find myself in Cyprus. And with him gone, I feel almost lost. This is the lonely feeling kicking in. I think this is the thing I most afraid of because I am the type of person that needs to be motivated and have a to do list to feel like im accomplishing something. Simply having that other person there is my kind of motivation.

And without that the craziness sets in. *joking*

It's like when you see old people, in the supermarket alone, I think where is there husband or wife? How long have they been alone? Do they feel alone?

And as such I have openly admitted to the boyfriend that if we grow old together, I want to be the one to leave first. I want to be the one being missed, not doing the missing.

Ok now I sound crazy!

6 comments:

  1. you dont sound crazy, i know exactly how you feel!i'm Greek and having been living abroad for a total of 12 years and at 33 i can say exactly the same thing.Loneliness is the worst feeling,its that emptyness that i cant deal with!i have recently split up with my long term partner and i am wondering what im doing alone abroad, when my entire support system is abroad....keeping busy is the only way i get my mind of loneliness....its a toughie, but i'm completely with you on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I hope your holding up okay! I know sometimes, and its usually on those hardest, emotional days I wonder why I am here. But then You have great days living in an amazing place, that many people are jealous of and it seems worth it somehow.

      Delete
  2. No, not crazy at all! I always get so sad when I see those older people sitting by themselves at restaurants or wherever wondering where their partner is. Sometime I even shed a tear.

    The fear of being alone is totally normal! Long-distance is never fun or easy, especially from abroad. Good luck and it does get easier, I promise:)

    Your newest follower visiting from The Story of my Life.

    Cheers,
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh alyson thanks so much for stopping by and your great words of encouragement. Jenni is doing such a fantastic thing bringing more bloggers in reach of other. I did long distance many times before and your right it does get easier. It just takes a while to get over the initial separation.

      Delete
  3. Is the move to Germany permanent? Will you be joining him. I think its always hard being away from your other half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has gone for two years. Im staying in cyprus. Its going to be achallenge but I think distance and space can be really benefixial for relationships. We will see how we get on. Thank you kayleigh for your kind comments as always!

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!