Monday 1 April 2013

age is just a number.

Yesterday my Grandma celebrated her 90th birthday! Over Skype I was able to be there while she opened her huge pile of cards; the powers of the internet mean I can sometimes be there for those special occasions, if only through a computer screen.

But this got me thinking about age. I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like to reach the grand old age of 90 and despite much turmoil, still be able to enjoy birthday cake and open cards.



My Grandma has lived a pretty full life; raising two children, helping out with two grandchildren, plodding on after loosing her daughter and her husband. And despite two strokes and a very long stretch in hospital, she still has a lot of life and laughter left in her; her answer to the question how are you generally goes something like "Oh I'm still here dear"

In a little over a month I will turn 25; a relatively small landmark age in comparison but it's funny when you look back on your years and remember all the things you have done, experienced and come up against. As you get older birthdays seem to take on a different meaning; as a child it was all about jelly and ice cream, elaborate cakes hand made by my mother and new and exciting toys you have waited months to rip open the birthday paper on, come the morning of your birthday.

But now its the more simple pleasures that make it special; just being with the people you love or receiving a card from someone far away that took the time to remember you. And in the case of my Grandma, just getting through the day!

There is still so much I want to do in life, so many places to and things to see. I hope by the time I make it to 90, i'll have ticked all the boxes of life.


4 comments:

  1. Aww happy birthday :) Grannies of all are always lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks areeba. I know grannies have such a great spirit and attitude! :)

      Delete
  2. Age is truly just a number! My (younger) boyfriend always tells me "You're as old as you feel." He still forgets I'm older.

    Hope your Grandma had a lovely birthday!

    EverydayEphee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your younger boyfriend. You just have to make sure you maintain young feelings! Im sure when we hit 90 we will start feeling the age. Thanks for atopping by taking the time to comment

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!