Tuesday 1 July 2014

The Dubai Fountain


There are a million things to do when you arrive in Dubai; go up the Burj Khalifa, go to the Dubai Mall, do a desert safari, watch the dancing fountains. The what? Yes the dancing fountains. And we are not talking about some small, insignificant fountains trickling water like a hose that has a kink in it. No, if there is one thing you need to know about Dubai, it's that they do everything bigger and better and their dancing fountains are a spectacle. 

The weekend I arrived in Dubai, my stepbrother had popped over from Doha, my best friend and the boyfriend were both excited to see me and to mark the occasion they arranged dinner. They know me too well and wouldn't tell me where dinner was in fear that I would start googling. I thought dinner would be on the 47th floor of some skyscraper to take in views of the city. 

But then we arrived at Souk Al Bahar, sitting neatly under the towering presence of the Burj Khalifa and I was a little surprised. It turns out dinner was at Mango Tree and as we were shown to our table on the terrace, I commented that it was a little a hot and humid for a newbie like me to be eating outside. A few seconds after plonking myself down at the table I soon realised why we were outside, as the lake at the foot of the Burj Khalifa came to life and the sound of music filled the air. 





In all honesty, I have never seen anything quite like it. Set on the 30 acre Burj Khalifa Lake, the Dubai Fountain includes 6600 lights, 25 colour projectors shoots water 150 meters into the air, the same as  a 50 storey building. This isn't any old fountain. The water, the lights and the music combine to create one breathtaking show, that drew out my emotion, and had me feeling a little numb by the end of it. 

The music and routine is continually changing and during our dinner, we saw four different versions, each as good as the first. While you can watch the dancing fountains from waterfront promenade, if you are a food lover like myself, you might as well watch the show from the Mango Tree terrace whilst tucking into some yummy thai food. 

And on that note, I will leave you with a video.


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is pretty spectacular. I could sit all evening and watch it since they do different "routines" set to loads of different music. It is definitely a must see for anyone visiting Dubai.

      Delete
    2. spectacular images!! there are so many things to do in Dubai and places to visit!! amazing place a must visit for everyone atleast once in the lifetime

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!