Friday 11 July 2014

Life Lately: finding my feet and a happy dog

Last time I talked about a job interview, now I can talk about a job. Because after three weeks of slogging over my computer and sending out cover letter after cover letter, a couple of interesting opportunities and one interview later, I am no officially employed. 

The relief and excitement are mixed within my stomach and I think there are a few nerves thrown into the equation. Nerves because I have been in a new city for little under a month, have not worked in nearly three and feel like I may or may not have forgotten what a normal working week routine is like. 

Finding a job in Dubai has been quite an easy process when I come to think about it and I thank my lucky stars that such a fitting opportunity came up when it did. Luck seems to be on my side at the moment and I am sure embarking on a new working experience is going to help me feel way more settled. It is easy to forget, after days of lounging round the pool and a spot of sightseeing that I am not actually on holiday. I don't have to go home. Because this is home now. 

It all feels a little bit dreamlike and my instagram feed portrays an amazing life. But I am not taking anything for granted; I know how lucky I am to be here. I am sure I will come back down to earth with a bang, come Sunday morning when the alarm goes off at 6am, but even then, I am grateful for this city and the opportunities it keeps throwing my way. 

I spent my last free week, swimming and soaking up a little more sun and wandering round some malls, taking in their beauty. Yeh I say beauty because the malls here are quite stunning with their quirky details and culturally reflective decorations. I barely did any shopping, instead, walking around with my eyes fixed up above (because the ceilings in these places are usually insane). If you are in Dubai and haven't been to Ibn Battuta Mall, it is worth it for the stunning decor, with each section of the mall being modelled on a different theme. And check out the Souk Atrium in Dubai Mall, it is a beauty. 

Obviously while I was at the mall I had to pick up a little congratulations-I-got-a-job blouse from H&M for my first day at work. It would have been rude not to. 

We also managed to explore the rest of Dubai Marina this week, which is about an 8km walk from our apartment to the other end. We are at the quieter end of Dubai Marina and I was intrigued to see what the "more developed" end looked like. Well there are a lot more buildings, more of a buzz and some nice restaurants and bars. But I wouldn't want to live there; tall building after tall building is crammed in and it feels like a small, sweaty version of London. Plus I much prefer the peace and quiet at our end. The 8km walk back was certainly made a little easier after topping up our stomachs at Johnny Rockets, an American style diner.













And yes that is the pooch on the beach. Yeh you thought Dubai wasn't dog friendly right? Well it is amazing what a little courteous chit chat can achieve. Being nice to people gets you far and the security guard who mans the power station entry road near our house, was very obliging when we asked, super nicely, if we could take the dog down to the little bit of private beach that is adjacent to the powerstation office building. 

The excitement on her face, to be off leash, running around with sand beneath her paws was priceless. She's still a scaredy cat when it comes to waves though. 


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so happy for you. I can't wait to hear how your first day goes and I definitely hope that these amazing opportunities keep coming your way. It's only fair when you move to a new country, isn't it? My best wishes and lots of happiness and positive vibes coming your way xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! Your words are very sweet and bring a lot of motivation with them. I have been incredibly lucky to find something so quickly after moving and have a very good feeling that I will be able to really develop in this company. Plus I get to talk, write, work with food. What better way to spend my day. Thank you for your kind words Vanisha. xx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so excited. Its great to hear when people have such great success when they move to a new place. I have been enjoying your pictures ever since you moved. Where do you work. I hope it is something closer to the industry of your passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie! I know I am a bit snap happy at the moment. I am sure that will stop at somepoint (although it probably wont haha). I am doing marketing and pr for an organic food company. Lots of great projects to get involved in and it is definitely more up my street. I am so happy about it :)

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!