Tuesday 19 November 2013

food fascination: oats

Recently, oats have been making an appearance in my diet. In the form of porridge and yummy cranberry and pomegranate oat bars which tick the sweet box for that mid-afternoon craving that usually hits us office workers. 



I can't explain the sudden influx of oats in my diet except that they bring me comfort. When I was younger, I always remember those cold, crisp afternoons in winter that my granny would come to collect me from school. We would walk back to my house, with frozen fingers and toes and upon arrival, the first thing my granny would do is get busy in the kitchen. The result; a little warming bowl of porridge topped with brown sugar and cinnamon. It was comforting, creamy, nutritious and filled a whole in my 6 year old, post-school hungry stomach. 

Maybe it has something to do with the "colder" weather starting to make an appearance in Cyprus, or maybe it is just my brain craving something that brings back happy memories of my childhood. But starting my morning with a little warm bowl of oats really has made a difference to my day. And my hunger levels. Maybe it has something to do with the zinc and B vitamins in oats that are known to be mood enhancers. And if you need some oat inspiration look no further than here and here


4 comments:

  1. Yes. You are so absolutely spot on. Oats are comforting, aren't they? From oatmeal cookies and oats in fruit crisp to a bowl of straight-up oatmeal. There's just something about it. Especially, as you say, when the weather starts to take a turn for the cold. That stick-to-your-ribs warmth that just feels so right when the snow flies. :) Good call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree Kim. Oh an how could I forget about oatmeal cookies....you know what I will be baking at the weekend. Seriously cannot get enough of the creamy taste of oats. Takes me back to my childhood! :)

      Delete
  2. haha, same here! all of a sudden, i eat oats every day! they make me feel so good ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oats definitely have the feel good factor. Its like a hug in a bowl.

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!