Tuesday 6 August 2013

summer squash

It's August which means we are in the hot and sweaty phase of the summer. Even when the sun goes down the temperature doesn't. 

I want to eat. 
But I don't want to eat. 
You know what I mean? 
........I know it's weird for me also. 

Since becoming an expat on a hot little island, my eating routine has turned distinctly more seasonal. More fish, fruits and salad and anything light enough to fill my stomach but not make me feel heavy. A little dish that I knocked out tonight actually, uses butternut squash and my favourite Greek cheese; Feta. And it is super easy. 

[bit blurry sorry]

All you do is roast butternut squash, with a little olive oil and salt, in the oven for about 30/40 minutes. Once out of the oven, crumble over some Feta, add a dash of olive oil and some oregano. And voila. It's eating time. 

It would be the perfect side dish for some grilled chicken or as part of a salad; i'm thinking baby spinach the butternut squash, pine nuts and a balsamic dressing. 

Any ideas for light summer dishes and will be greatly appreciated!


1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. I will have to try it. I love squash.

    ReplyDelete

comments are greatly appreciated!!