Wednesday 15 January 2014

2014, lets do this!

source
I found this image on pinterest a few days before 2013 ended and it made an impression on me; I feel a little bit like 2013 overtook everything and ending up suffocating me a little. It was full of unhappy experiences, and the negatives outshone the positives for sure. So with a new year comes a fresh start and 2014 seems like the year to take back control and remember what it's like to feel alive. 

Im pretty rubbish at keeping to resolutions as you will have noted here when I commented on the resolutions I made here, at the beginning of 2013. But in light of being positive and feeling alive in 2014, lets get a list going. Plus actually putting here on the blog in writing, makes me more inclined to at least try to complete some of them!

A bad habit to break
Breaking bad habits is always hard and I think you should tackle one at a time for optimum success. As such 2014 is the year I will stop eating my cuticles. I know.....its gross right. But I cannot resist. For as long as I can remember (probably since my teenage years) I have been eating the skin around my nails.  And I don't remember why I started but it is one of those things that I find myself doing when i'm nervous, anxious, stressed or angry. I also suffer from dry skin in general and this obviously makes the whole situation worse. But I intend to break this habit in 2014 with the help of some notoriously good products, namely Essie apricot cuticle oil and Burts Bees lemon cuticle butter. More about those and their (possible) success to come, in future blog posts. 

A new skill to learn
I want to crack html. I think it is one of those skills that makes and bloggers life easier and although I have picked up a few bits along the way thanks to tutorials from other bloggers like Rylee Blake or the wonderful lady behind Wonder Forest who has launched a website, aptly named icanbuildablog.com I haven't had the time or, let's be honest, the motivation to go it alone and take full advantage of their free tips and tutorials. But now seems like a good time to put my best foot forward and commit. And while I am there, a little refresher in photoshop is much overdue since the last time I used it was ohhhhh about 5 years ago in my final year at university!

A good deed
My some what unrealistic good deed would be following in the footsteps of the boyfriends Mum and doing some sort of charity running. I am always a little bit envious when she comes back from yet another 5K, red faced and sporting a nice medal round her neck, having just run and raised money for a good cause. But since I haven't been running since I left my luxurious London gym behind and moved to Cyprus, I am not sure if this is achievable. My goal would be to do the Cancer Research UK Race for Life; i'm not going to lie, I think the likelihood of me achieving this in 2014 is slim but I will start as I mean to go on and not only donate to a cause extremely close to my heart in money, but start running in 2014 with the aim of completing a 5k without needing oxygen at the end of it.

A book to read
One of my favourite authors is JoJo Moyes; I read two amazing books by her in 2013, Me Before You and The Last Letter from Your Lover. So since she is releasing a new book in February 2014, The One Plus One, this had to go on my reading list. I can 100% recommend the other two. Her style of writing just sucks you in and draws out your emotions; yes I was that girl crying at the end of the book and I am not ashamed to say it. 

A place to visit
In 2013 I wanted to travel more, but I made it to a grand total of 2 places; London and Latchi. And Latchi is only the other side of the island. Although London is always on my travel itinerary (and I did have some good trips in 2013), in 2014 I have my sights set further afield; Germany, Barcelona, Poland and New York. Lets hope 2014 is the year for so much needed travels.

I wonder how many of these resolutions will actually be marked as complete by the end of 2014; if it is all of them, we know it will have been a good year. Oh and one more resolution, no more long distance relationship. Enough said. 

2 comments:

  1. Your travel plans sound exciting. I still need to start planning out some small trips for us. Nothing as adventurous as Australia, trips closer to home this year I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed but they will only be exciting if I actually get to any of those places :)
      Where are you thinking to visit?

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!