Monday 18 March 2013

Kathara Deftera (otherwise known as no-meat-day)

Today marks the first day of Lent in the Greek Orthodox calender. And while we will probably be giving up more than we bargained for, Kathara Deftera (or Green Monday) traditional is the start of the fasting period here in Cyprus. 

And they take their fasting quite seriously, especially the older generations who seriously restrict their diet and remove any animal products from it completely. None of this i'll try and give up chocolate stuff we do in England. 

And if your in Cyprus on Kathara Deftera, don't be surprised if you look up into the skies and see hundreds of kites; a tradition which I still haven't got to the bottom of. 



What I do know is that I ate a lot of salad today; Rocket salad, Potato Salad, Beetroot Salad, Lagana bread (a flat bread with sesame seeds that is only made on Green Monday), Olives, Humous, Taramasalata and Tahini. 

And I havent moved for a fair few hours since the feast ceased. Maybe a meat free 40 days could be on the cards? Well if the banks dont reopen, it may be an enforced challenge!



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you so much,
    However I am going through troubles with your RSS.

    I don't understand why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting the same RSS problems? Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

    my web blog :: Michael Kors Outlet

    ReplyDelete

comments are greatly appreciated!!