Tuesday 13 May 2014

don't be so hard on yourself

source

Ever since I have returned from my escape to the countryside, I have been in a bit of a blogging black hole. 

I don't know if it was the fresh air that cleared my brain a little too well and wiped away all blogging inspiration, or if it was the time spent with two wonderful girlfriends that sent me into a spin. Or maybe it's the chaos of the impending move, the second in as many months. Whatever it is, it has kept my laptop closed for days and tapping away now feels a little bit foreign for some reason. 

Every day that has ended, I have kicked myself for not blogging but then I remembered this little post I wrote way back (and hasn't it gone quickly) in January about enjoying my writing and not blogging for the sake of it. 

Expat life is complicated at the best of times. And yes I am still using the expat title because after living in another country for three years, London doesn't 100% feel like home. I feel a little bit like an outsider here; like a tourist in my own town, like someone re-organised and revamped the city in my absence. And while that brings with it a host of blogging opportunities, the other side of expat life; the organisation, the packing, the paperwork, the stressing sometimes gets in the way.

And then I decided not to be so hard on myself. 


4 comments:

  1. A wish we lived a little closer to each other. We'd have so much to talk about. I know what you mean entirely. I still miss Canberra terribly. I keep second guessing my decisions. We had the option to remaining there. I think about what we could have done differently. I'm not settled. There is still some anxiety and a lot of stress, but I have to keep telling myself that it takes time. I'm remembering and missing the last two years of my four years in Canberra, almost entirely forgetting about the nightmare during the first six/seven months. And that advice you've given yourself is perfect, don't be so hard on yourself - and I'll try not to be too hard on myself and this new place xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we could all be less hard on ourselves the world would be a better place. I think it is natural to miss the places we have lived in. We get so used to our surroundings that they become home away from home. If we all lived closer together it could be very dangerous...lots of wine and cupcake fuelled blogger meet ups! :)

      Delete
  2. I wish we all lived a bit closer together so we could go for coffee and catch up like old friends. I think its great to take it easy on yourself and step back when you feel like its necessary. I'm so excited to watch your new journey unfold and to see what path you choose for your career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I feel like we all know so much about each others lives and we have never met. A little blogger meet up would be great if we could all just align at some point in our lives. The world is such a big place unfortunately but that I guess is the beauty of the blogging community; we can all keep in touch through the power of the internet. I am excited about the impending new journey, if not a little scared. :) x

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!