Monday 10 June 2013

Hair Attachment

I have never really been that attached to my hair. 

The last time I had long hair was when I was about 7 and for me, my hair has always been somewhat of a hassle to maintain and therefore my theory is the less of it the better! 

I am also kinda lucky that I have a face shape that benefits more from short hair; s for the past 6/7 years I have flitted between super short to long bob and back to short bob. The only common feature has been a hide-my-big-forehead kind of fringe. 

And while I go through phases of craving long, wavy beach style locks, I know the reality is far from glamourous. 

I have always wanted to go short short, but never quite worked up the courage to let the hairdresser practically shave half my head. And then Jessie J went and shave her head for Comic Relief and my whole idea of hair flipped around. 

She went from this. 



To this. 



And I think she looks amazing. Plus she did it for a fantastic cause and raised tons of money, but she even said it's the best thing she has ever done. I can only imagine how weird yet liberating it must feel to shave your head and it would certainly eliminate a lot of bathroom hours thats for sure! 

But short hair in Cyprus is somewhat of rarity. It was pretty early on, that I realised girls in general have a big attachment to their hair. And men find women with short hair somewhat of a tourist attraction (the looks I have had go to prove it). 

It got me thinking about how different cultures place importance on different aspects of a women's beauty. In London every other girl has half her head shave, or a super short bob. But in Cyprus the majority of women have long hair. Maybe it's more feminine for them, or maybe practically, the heat of the summer means you need to have long hair to tie it up and have it as far away from you as possible. 

Who knows. 

I think I will slowly work my way shorter and shorter, but I full shaved head....I think that's a step too far for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are greatly appreciated!!